Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Best Books of the Decade

* HSFALAP made the National Post's Best Books of '09 list , the longlist for the #CanadaAlsoReads list, and Xtra's Best Queer Books of 2009.

This morning I woke up at an ungodly hour w/ my girlfriend - she had a 7am shift, and the kitten required pre-dawn play time. The plan was to write for two hours before 9am. Ah, those vacation goals! Instead I spent the last half hour creating a list of my favourite books of the decade.

The list is based entirely on my post-read reaction: 1) the overwhelming desire to buy copies for everyone I knew 2)the urge to display prominently on favourite volumes shelf 3)desire to online-stalk author 4)the urge to utter the phrase Why Didn't I Think To Write Like This?

The results:

Lullabies for Little Criminals – Heather O’Neill
When I Was Young and In My Prime – Alayna Munce
Liar – Lynn Crosbie
Stunt – Claudia Dey
Cumberland – Michael V Smith
Orphan Love – Nadia Bozak
Some of the Parts – T Cooper
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close – Jonathan Safran Foer
Mean Boy by Lynn Coady
Special Topics in Calamity Physics – Marisha Pessl
The Lichtenberg Figures by Ben Lerner

3 comments:

cynthiagould said...

Hello! Could you please send an email to director@artbar.org? We're compiling lists of wonderful poets for the coming year, and I cannot find your email online anywhere. Thanks!
~ cyn

E said...

Hi! I just finished reading HSFALAP. I started it two days ago and simply havent been able to put it down! I find your characters so interesting and I find myself falling in love with them! I had to read this book after reading Bottle Rocket Hearts and I immediately took to your writing.
I am a 24 old queer living near Ottawa with my girlfriend. My name is Elena and I am a photographer.
I really loved your stories. I really cannot wait until you write another one. I particularly loved the characters Della and Josh. Both opposites in many ways. I liked Dellas insecurity she seemed to have with herself. Almost Shane-esque. And Josh's confidence...and his peace with his past...loved it all. I want to read more books like yours. Can you recommend any? Please email me.
ekbowell@bell.net

Thanks
Elena

Ecossaise said...

And here I am, experiencing the desire to online-stalk you after finishing HSFALAP last night. Grin. Loved it. Devoured it on streetcar rides. Miss Josh, Billy and Amy already.